Saudi Arabia hajj disaster death toll at least 2,110 - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Saudi Arabia hajj disaster death toll at least 2,110

Posted:

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) -- A new toll shows the crush and stampede that struck the hajj last month in Saudi Arabia killed at least 2,110 pilgrims.


   The count Monday by The Associated Press comes after Saudi officials said they held a meeting about the disaster late Sunday night. The official Saudi Press Agency reported that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Naif bin Abdul Aziz, who is also the kingdom's interior minister, oversaw the meeting.


   Saudi Arabia's official tally from the Sept. 24 tragedy in Mina, a few miles from the holy city of Mecca, is 769 killed and 934 injured. Officials have not updated their casualty toll since Sept. 26, although an investigation into the causes of the tragedy is ongoing.


   The previous deadliest-ever incident at hajj was a 1990 stampede that killed 1,426 people.
 

  • InternationalMore>>

  • Russia joins bid to win compensation over US metals tariffs

    Russia joins bid to win compensation over US metals tariffs

    Thursday, April 19 2018 7:45 AM EDT2018-04-19 11:45:27 GMT
    Russia has joined the European Union, India and China in demanding compensation from the United States for its tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum.More >>
    Russia has joined the European Union, India and China in demanding compensation from the United States for its tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum.More >>
  • Trade issues expose the limits of Trump-Abe 'bromance'

    Trade issues expose the limits of Trump-Abe 'bromance'

    Thursday, April 19 2018 7:54 AM EDT2018-04-19 11:54:33 GMT
    Trump rejects Abe's efforts to win a pass on tariffs for Japan and persuade US to rejoin TPP trade deal, showing the limits of their 'bromance'.More >>
    Trump rejects Abe's efforts to win a pass on tariffs for Japan and persuade US to rejoin TPP trade deal, showing the limits of their 'bromance'.More >>
  • Calif. governor says deal reached on National Guard mission

    Calif. governor says deal reached on National Guard mission

    Thursday, April 19 2018 7:53 AM EDT2018-04-19 11:53:38 GMT
    (AP Photo/Denis Poroy, File). FILE - In this June 21, 2006 file photo, members of the California National Guard work next to the U.S.-Mexico border fence near the San Ysidro Port of Entry in San Diego. President Donald Trump slammed California Gov. Jer...(AP Photo/Denis Poroy, File). FILE - In this June 21, 2006 file photo, members of the California National Guard work next to the U.S.-Mexico border fence near the San Ysidro Port of Entry in San Diego. President Donald Trump slammed California Gov. Jer...
    Gov. Jerry Brown says he has reached agreement with the Trump administration to deploy up to 400 California National Guard troops to the border and elsewhere.More >>
    Gov. Jerry Brown says he has reached agreement with the Trump administration to deploy up to 400 California National Guard troops to the border and elsewhere.More >>
Powered by Frankly