(CNN)-- An Ohio teen is dead after contracting a brain-eating amoeba on a trip to North Carolina.
She was with a ministry group from Messiah United Methodist Church when she apparently came into contact with the deadly bacteria.
"She was an incredible person, so full of life," Pastor Jim Wilson said. " They went down to North Carolina and sang at some churches and nursing homes along the way. They had one day of recreation where they stopped at the U.S. Whitewater Center and went whitewater rafting and they had a grand day."
It's not clear where the girl contracted the disease.
But Wilson says that's the only place the group went where there was water.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, the amoeba found in freshwater lakes, rivers and hot springs enters the body through the nose.
It's rare - but usually deadly.
According to the CDC symptoms of the infection tends to start 1-9 days after the water is ingested through the nose.
Early symptoms can include a severe frontal headache, fever, nausea, and vomiting.
More severe symptoms can include a stiff neck, seizures, altered mental states, hallucinations, and coma.