Teen late for court and judge postpones his Portage Co. sex tria - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Teen late for court and judge postpones his Portage Co. sex trial


STEVENS POINT (WAOW) - A teenage boy accused of dragging a 14-year-old girl into a bathroom at the Stevens Point Area YMCA and sexually assaulting her was late for the start of his trial Wednesday and it was postponed, according to online Portage County prosecutors.

Jerry Washington, 17, of Milwaukee is charged with first-degree sexual assault and false imprisonment in the Jan. 29 incident. His three-day trial was to start Wednesday after he rejected a plea deal from prosecutors on Tuesday, court records said.

When the judge called the case about 9 a.m. Wednesday, Washington wasn't there, the judge dismissed the potential jurors and he issued a warrant for Washington's arrest, court records said.

Washington showed up about an hour later, telling the judge traffic backed up on Interstate 39, court records said.

No new trial date was set but the judge reinstated a $5,000 cash bond and set a motion hearing for Friday, court records said. Washington had been free on a $10,000 signature bond.

According to the criminal complaint, the girl told police Washington grabbed her hair, pulled her down the hall and into the bathroom where he touched her inappropriately over and underneath her clothes.

Washington admitted to investigators he grabbed the girl's hair and walked down a hallway but said they went into the bathroom and talked. He said he did not touch the girl and none of his DNA would be on her.

Police said they have video from the camera's at the YMCA that show Washington pulling the girl by her hair into the bathroom.

Dave Morgan, chief executive officer of the Y, said Washington and the alleged victim were part of different group homes visiting the Y and the girl reported the incident, leading to Washington's arrest later that night. Washington lived in Plover at the time, court records said.

The Stevens Point Area YMCA opened 48 years ago. Morgan said there has never been a sexual assault case reported there before.

Powered by Frankly