WAUSAU (WAOW) - No one was hurt Tuesday when a fire broke out inside an apartment of a complex on Wausau's south side, but nine people were displaced, according to the Wausau Fire Department.
The fire erupted about 2:30 p.m. in the 1300 block of Townline Road.
Firefighters were summoned on the report of "smoke showing" at one of the apartments, the agency said. The blaze was under control within an hour.
One person was treated on scene for smoke inhalation.
Battalion Chief Paul Czarapata said the fire broke out in the apartment of an adult couple and apparently was started by "some careless use of materials," other than cigarettes. He did not elaborate.
The fire forced multiple families to find a place to sleep Tuesday night.
"There were four families displaced," said Czarapata. "It appears to be about eight or nine people. Red Cross [was] on scene providing them assistance. It sounds like family members are also going to help relocate people as well.
Czarapata said most of the serious damage was limited to one apartment.