A house was destroyed Tuesday afternoon after a fire in the Town of Pine River.
The fire started on the 800 block of Grantwood Court a little before noon.
Someone inside the home reportedly smelled smoke coming from the bathroom vent when the flames broke out.
"Everything that I've ever worked for is up in smokes," said Luke Allen, who lives in the home. He was at work when he got the devastating call.
Allen said his girlfriend and their two children and grandmother were home at the time, but everyone got out safely.
A neighbor who was on his way home called first responders. When he arrived, he was able to lead the family to safety. But everything was already lost.
"I mean I'm really hurt you know, all my child's clothing, both of my kids stuff that I worked for and paid for and to watch it go up in blaze up smoke" said Allen.
The blaze was so extreme the Pine River fire department had to call for assistance from the Merrill Fire Department and the Town of Texas Fire Department.
"When we first showed up, we had heavy fire flaming, going through the roof on the entire structure. It was what I consider fully involved," said John Uttech, chief of the Pine River fire department.
He said there is nothing in the home that can be salvaged.
The animals living in the duplex were also rescued, but a dog was later put down due to smoke inhalation.
The investigation is still ongoing, but investigators said the blaze does not seem to be suspicious.
One year later, Bob Look - Dianne's husband, and Scott Sann - Sara'shusband, remember every detail of the tragic day.
Residents are being asked to support a $2.5 million referendum to maintain buildings, programs and staff.
1908 Grand Avenue, Wausau, WI 54403
News Tips: email@example.com or 715-842-9293