UPDATE: Police chief says Austin bombing suspect is dead - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE: Police chief says Austin bombing suspect is dead

Posted:
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -

Austin's police chief says the serial bombing suspect who has terrified Texas' capital city this month is dead.

Police Chief Brian Manley said early Wednesday that the suspect set off an explosive device in his vehicle as SWAT team members were closing in. He says one of the SWAT officers also shot at the vehicle.

Manley identified the suspect only as a 24-year-old white male. He says the suspect's name won't be released until his next of kin are notified.

Austin has been targeted by four package bombings since March 2 that killed two people and wounded four others. A fifth parcel bomb detonated at a FedEx distribution center near San Antonio early Tuesday.

******

ATF says it is with the FBI and Austin Police Department "at the scene of the individual suspected in the (hash)packagebombmurders".

The agency tweeted they were on the scene early Wednesday morning where heavy police activity was being reported.

The Austin Police Department had tweeted earlier that they were investigating an officer-involved shooting at the location along Interstate 35.

*******

Police in Texas say they are working an officer-involved shooting but it is unclear if it's related to the recent spate of bombings.

The Austin Police Department tweeted early Wednesday morning that the shooting happened in the 1700 block of N. Interstate 35.

There have been multiple reports of heavy police activity in the area.

Powered by Frankly