Man sentenced again in Northwoods standoff gets probation this t - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Man sentenced again in Northwoods standoff gets probation this time


RHINELANDER (WAOW) - A Tripoli man convicted a second time for his role in an hours-long standoff with police after a domestic dispute more than two years ago was placed on three years probation Wednesday, according to online Oneida County court records.

Kenneth Welsh, 62, had pleaded no contest to one felony - negligent use of a dangerous weapon - in the incident that included threats to blow up his home.

Welsh had been convicted of first-degree reckless endangerment and operating a firearm while intoxicated, a misdemeanor, in an earlier plea agreement but a judge allowed Welsh to withdraw his plea to the more serious charge as some "elements" related to the decision were not all provided, court records said.

Welsh had been sentenced to three years in prison and had served time at a prison in Black River Falls.

During Wednesday's hearing, Welsh was sentenced to 18 months in prison and two years of extended supervision but a judge put it on hold - unless Welsh violates terms of his probation, which include no drinking and no taverns, court records said.

Welsh was given credit for 723 days already spent in jail - in essence the prison time in the new sentence, court records said.

Investigators said the April 19, 2016, standoff at Welsh's rural home started when he and his then-59-year-old wife got into an "altercation" in which she shot him in the arm in self-defense.

As the wife was fleeing in a car, Welsh shot into the vehicle's windshield but the bullet didn't penetrate the glass, the Oneida County Sheriff's Department said.

When deputies arrived, Welsh aimed a gun at them, the agency said. Bean bag rounds were used to help apprehend him after he was sitting on his porch with a gun.

Investigators found out Welsh was filing his home with propane.

Officers from seven area sheriff's departments rushed to the home following a 911 call reporting Welsh would blow up the home "if anyone shows up." The standoff lasted about four hours.

Powered by Frankly