Nearly 8 million pets end up in shelters each year, separated from their families. Don't let your pet be a statistic! Here are seven simple steps from The Humane Society of the United States to help keep your pet a loved and loving member of your family.
1. Make sure your pet always wears up-to-date identification.
2. Don't let behavior problems break up the family! Address problem behavior, consult with a professional if necessary, and take dogs and pups to training classes. Also learn how to prevent dog bites!
3. Visit the veterinarian at least once a year.
4. Spay or neuter your pet.
5. Have a family disaster plan that includes your pets.
6. Provide for your pets in case something happens to you and you can't care for them yourself.
7. Adopt your next pet from an animal shelter.
Copyright © 2001 The Humane Society of the United States All rights reserved.